Saturday, 26 May 2018

MSB S4E04: Goes on Air

I'm going on air! I'm reviewing this episode with air pressure in a glass jar, and we're seeing a little absurd moment. It just might be a jarring experience. Blog, do your stuff!

43. Goes on Air.
Topic: Air.
Written by: 
Brain Meehl, George Arthur Bloom and Jocelyn Stevenson.
Aired: 26 October 1997.

For the Walkerville space capsule, Ms. Frizzle's class has to put in something on air. Keesha brings an "empty" pickle jar though, as she explains, "It's not empty; it's filled with air." The rest of the class believes this is extremely pathetic and Ms. Frizzle "accidentally" gets the entire class stuck inside the pickle jar. Conveniently, they have to use air to get out of the jar in time for the space capsule's liftoff. 

This here is the Walkerville Space Capsule. It's going to wait for schools to talk about some things.

For the Frizzle science class, Keesha's brought an empty pickle jar. But she says there is something inside. Air.

One class is explaining how water flows down the mountains.

This is something Arnold would love. An explanation of how rocks are formed. And we all know how much Arnold Perlstein loves rocks.

"We're stuck with air, and that's not fair! Hey! We can write a poem!"
"Carlos!"
They could've taken Carlos' idea sooner. 


Even if it's not launch time, Ms. Frizzle decided to give Arnold a bag of Sea Weedies. Foreshadowing much?

"I don't know, Arnold. Maybe I should've stayed home today."
"You too?"
Would've been funny if Keesha did stay home. But then the space capsule would have nothing from the Frizzle class! 


"Talk about a jarring experience!"
"Carlos!"
This is a jarring experience, Carlos. 


This woman doesn't realise the class is inside the pickle jar, so she's closing the lid.

There's something useful, yet weird. Pink extraordinair.

Funny how Arnold used Ms. Frizzle's catchphrase about taking chances, making mistakes, see what Extraordinair can do.

 This is something useful. A giant rubber glove to trap the extraordinair.

This is the absurd and weird moment I've been wanting to cover ever since I took reviewing this series into account. When Ralphie suggested using Dorothy Ann's favourite rubber hairbands to seal the glove, Dorothy Ann took them out, and, very strangely, her ponytails stayed in place. And even Arnold pointed it out.

Here's what happens to extraordinair if there's too little room. It turns red.

"Nothing like being a roll model, right Liz?"
Yep, it's funny because they're rolling up the glove's fingers. 



This is a great idea! Phoebe and Wanda jump on the glove and Keesha bounces in the air!

Who would've thought Keesha could do a brill somersault?

But unfortunately, it didn't work.

Here's another useful idea. Pump the extraordinair!

I'm afraid the air pressure is too much!

Now the jar is open, even scaring a cat!

It's funny how Keesha took Arnold's idea seriously, but Arnold said he was joking.

 Funny how Ms. Frizzle liked Ralphie's question. But Arnold suggested the idea.

The cat is confused. First everyone in the jar was so tiny you could barely see them, now they're big again!

The pod returning to normal size really scared this blue jay flying by!

And this is great teamwork between Keesha and Ralphie!

It's the cork popper and the poem they're sending to space.

Now Liz is attaching the bottle to the Producer's chair.


I've noticed that this episode made a reference to Star Wars. "May the air pressure be with you."

This episode has a pretty weird moment apart from pink air which can turn into red air. It's Dorothy Ann's hair that's weird. Even when she takes out her hairbands, her ponytails stay in place. I'm surprised the caller didn't question that in the Producer Segment.

Could the teamwork between Ralphie and Keesha in this be another reason most people who grew up with this ship them? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm one of the many Ralphie/Keesha shippers.

But even so, it was an interesting way to learn about air. And it was all Keesha's idea, Carlos' idea, Ralphie's idea and Arnold's idea. And it was brill teamwork that Keesha and Ralphie had, delivering the poem and the cork popper. And remember folks. Air today, gone tomorrow. And may the air pressure be with you.

My rating: 9/10.

Season 4 scorecard:
1. Meets Molly Cule: 9/10.
2. Cracks a Yolk: 10/10.
3. Goes to Mussel Beach: 9/10.
4. Goes on Air: 9/10.

Season 4 so far: 9.2/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment