Friday, 23 December 2016

TTTE S6E09: It's Only Snow

Now I'm in the mood to review something Christmassy. I was going to review Christmas is Here Again, but I changed my mind. Instead, I will do some Thomas the Tank Engine reviews on episodes that have to do with Christmas. And this time, I'm reviewing one from Season 6.

139. It's Only Snow.
Written by: James Mason.
Aired: UK: 26 September 2002. AUS: 31 October 2002. US: 23 January 2003.




It is winter on the Island of Sodor. The engines don't mind the weather because they love this time of the year, especially when the stations look festive due to the decorations. There is plenty of work with passengers and parcels to be delivered, no matter the weather. At Knapford Station, Edward tells the other engines that his driver said that there is more snow on the way. James, in an angry mood, says that they'll soon be wearing their snowploughs, and Henry asks Thomas if he'll be enjoying it. Thomas, also in an angry mood, tells them that he never will like it because he hates wearing his snowplough.
That night, the wind is blowing and the snow is falling heavily. In the morning, Thomas has to take a Christmas Tree to the village with Toby, and is very angry when he has to wear his old snowplough. The Fat Controller assures him that everyone needs to wear a snowplough during the winter. On the way to the village, Thomas' snowplough runs into a rock on the track. It flies off to the side, and destroys a water tower. Thomas' driver does not think they can continue, but Thomas is determined to reach the station. He pushes the snow away as hard as he can, and soon reaches the village. The villagers are very pleased with their tree.
The following morning, the Fat Controller praises Thomas' bravery taking on the snow without a snowplough. As a result of this, Thomas is told he will have to do without a snowplough for a while, leaving him feeling very proud.

Alright, you people who like to scapegoat HiT for starting this "Winter Holiday" nonsense, HiT didn't start it! This "Winter Holiday" nonsense started here. My major problem with this nonsense is that:

1. Reverend Awdry was a reverend as his name implied, meaning that he was a christian.
2. I don't see what's wrong with calling it "Christmas holiday".
3. The Northern Hemisphere is the only place that has winter when it's Christmas. In the Southern Hemisphere where I live, it's summer during Christmas.

But enough of that. All I have to say is that this was a nicely done episode. I do like the quote "That made my axles tingle!", I find it funnier under Michael Angelis' narrations. Again, I generally go for the UK narrations because I grew up with them. And Thomas sure was in character here, not wanting his snowplough and it makes more sense here since the plough is rusty instead of his clean blue one.

And to be honest, I wasn't bothered by the "Winter Holiday" quote here since it was only used once. But I'll give the late Hilary Fortnam props for helping to rid of this "Winter Holiday" nonsense in 2011. May she rest in peace.

And also, I find this episode nice and the magic spirit of Christmas when Fat Controller told Thomas that he'll have to do without a snowplough for a while. That's a kind Christmas present.

My rating: 9/10.

Season 6 scorecard:
9. It's Only Snow: 9/10.

Season 6 rating so far: 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment