This is why I'm counting down my Top 11 Thomas things that I'll never review. Why Top 11? Because I am stealing jokes from the Nostalgia Critic! Nah, not really. There is just one Thomas thing that isn't worth me reviewing that I decided to add, so now, this is a Top 11 list.
So, get ready to be desperate for reviews! Here are my Top 11 Thomas things that I'll never review!
11. Race to the Rescue.
Yes the little brother of Fiery Flynn. This episode has so much in common with that episode, I chose never to review this one since I already reviewed that one on April Fool's Day! Also, this, along with the other episode, is considered by many to be the worst Thomas the Tank Engine episode ever. So, if I reviewed this episode, I'd just be cloning my Fiery Flynn review. So Race to the Rescue, a no-go for reviewing by me.
10. The Up, Up and Away DVD.
What's worse than Up, Up and Away and Wonky Whistle? Well, both episodes getting their own DVD release! So reviewing this DVD, it's not worth it from me since I reviewed both episodes back on April Fool's Day along with Fiery Flynn and Sodor Surprise Day. You're better off buying the Complete 15th Season DVD. It's better value for money that DVD.
9. Any annual story.
I see the Railway Series and the TV series as 2 different canons. Don't believe me? Well then, read Bluebells of England and watch Rusty to the Rescue afterwards. We have a third canon in the franchise, and that's annual stories. Not to mention, the continuity is somewhat flimsy. They show alternate stories of Diesel's first visit to Sodor, a few illustrations show the Narrow Gauge engines on standard gauge track, Peter Sam with his old funnel, and Henry in his old shape in some stories. And since I haven't read that many annual stories, it's not worth me reviewing any of them.
8. Thomas' Frosty Friend.
Yes, the older brother of Up, Up and Away. Since this episode simply drags on, it just gives me no reason to review it. All it is is Thomas going all around Sodor with Mister Snowman, all because Mister Snowman is actually a balloon and is attached to the little blue engine's back buffers. So, I'm not wasting my time reviewing this.
7. Tram Trouble.
Yes, the episode that got contempt from some fans, all because of it being the sole appearance of Flora, a tram engine who was just introduced for merchandising purposes. They loathe her because she a Disney Princess-on-Wheels, or because she ruined Toby the Tram Engine's reputation as the only tram engine on Sodor. So, if I reviewed this episode, I'd have nothing new to add.
6. Any magazine story.
Yep, now we go to the 4th canon in the franchise, and that's magazine stories. These stories have the same continuity errors as annual stories. Not to mention, the same problems, such as Peter Sam having his old funnel in some stories, Henry being in his old shape in some, The Bowled Out Diesel and 199 being recurring visitors to Sodor, etc. And, since I haven't read all magazine stories, I can't review them.
5. Thomas and the UK Trip.
In the early 1990s, this special was released in Japan to promote Season 3 of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends. Note: There is only one problem with this special. The language is Japanese, and there are no English subtitles for any English audience who'd have watched this while in Japan! What are the characters saying? See where I'm going with this? If I can't understand what the characters are saying, I can't review it!
4. Any book illustrated by Ken Stott.
Now there's a 5th canon in the franchise, and that's the books illustrated by Ken Stott. The continuity in these books are flimsy too. Especially since for the most part, Thomas has a straight running board, as well as, in very few books, being curved. And there's Henry in his post-Flying Kipper/Pre Season 2 shape, as well as being in his old shape in some stories. So, these are also a no-go for reviewing.
3. Any Story Library book.
That's right, a 6th canon to the franchise, and those are Story Library books! The continuity in these books is also flimsy. It shows stuff like Henry in his current shape in some stories, and in his own book, he's in his old shape. Granted, it was for the stories based on his special coal experience, but he was shown in his current shape in previous stories. And it shows Peter Sam with his old funnel in stories written before his book. Also, it shows Donald and Douglas being painted blue and staying blue. So yeah, it'd be really confusing for me to review these.
2. Henry's Hero.
Yep, to be honest, I find this to be the most overrated episode of the current-era. Yep, much more so than Duck and the Slip Coaches. Why is this episode overrated you may ask? Well, many just jumped-for-joy because Duck made his first CGi appearance, and his first TV appearance since Best Friends from Season 12, and this is a Season 17 episode. Granted, this episode does have a moral of being yourself and how sometimes, those who are weak are able to help those who are strong, but reviewing this might get the same fanatics who jumped-for-joy for Duck's return.
1. Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
We now go from the most overrated Brenner-era episode to the most overhated movie. Yep, people hate Thomas and the Magic Railroad more than Day of the Diesels and Misty Island Rescue. Why? I have no idea. Granted, the steam engines were going against the diesels in this, but at least they weren't acting racist to the diesels.
Now, for my opinion on this movie. I don't find it a bad movie, but I don't find it good either. It's more in between. Now, the problems people have with this movie:
- Percy and James are voiced by women instead of Michael Angelis.
- Edward not appearing in this movie whatsoever.
- Lady being a plot device.
- Mister Conductor being too cheerful.
- Burnette Stone being too depressed.
- This movie supposedly killed Mara Wilson's acting career.
- Thomas sounding too young.
- P.T. Boomer was cut for being too scary.
Now, I can answer some of those questions. Edward wasn't in this movie, yes I agree, but his model wasn't ready in time. These days, I wish they just used the Season 5 models for this film and save the new ones for Season 6.
James and Percy being voiced by women. Come on, Michael Angelis did wonders with their voices! However, there are other instances of boys being voiced by women. Ashton Ketchum from Pocket Monsters, Timothy Turner from The Fairly Oddparents, Bartholomew Jay Simpson from The Simpsons, Thomas Pickles from Rugrats, Thomas Turnbull from Robotboy, Numbuh 84 from Codename Kids Next Door, Dexter from Dexter's Lab, you get the idea.
Thomas sounded too old in the Director's Cut. He was 86 at the time! He's supposed to sound old!
Well, there are problems people have with Lady. Such as, she had no persona and doesn't have a genuine basis. If only Britt gave her a persona back then.
P.T. Boomer. Stupid soccermums! P.T. Boomer is supposed to be scary!
Mara Wilson's acting career was already over in this film because when this movie was released, she was just about 13 years old.
Burnette Stone was too depressed. He's depressed because he failed to protect Lady, and he feels guilty about it, and his wife, Tasha Stone, passed away.
While Thomas and the Magic Railroad does have its flaws, (and for the record, I will only refer to it as "Thomas and the Magic Railroad" or "Thomas and the Magic Railway", NOT "Thomas and the Tragic Failroad" or "Shining Time Station: The Movie" The latter is rather immature.) I don't think it deserves that much hate. Also, I'll take the idea of a Magic Railway over a Galactic Kids Next Door any day!











The Magic Railroad movie, I have to agree with you on. Even though it flopped in the box office thanks to the shitty soccermums wanting Boomer out of the final cut, it is still a watchable film. Hopefully, those petitions that are asking Destination Films to see the full Director's Cut will be successful so we can finally see what was supposed to be a very good film.
ReplyDelete