Okay, I was going to start reviewing the first KND episode, but first, there is one thing that has been bugging me for quite sometime. Before I get on with it, the consistent disclaimer:
THE OPINIONS AND RAMBLINGS IN THIS BLOG POST ARE SOLELY MINE AND DON'T REFLECT THOSE OF ANYBODY ELSE
Now that that's out of the way, let's get on with talking about the outdated argument of the first, and only, Thomas the Tank Engine theatrical movie, Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
When Thomas and the Magic Railroad was first released in cinemas in 2000, it became a box office flop. Many fans and critics panned this movie a lot. It had a lot of focus on the human characters, and not much focus on the Thomas characters. One problem I will agree with is the fact that Edward wasn't in this movie, all because his model wasn't ready on time. I personally think that the producers of this film should have used the models that were used in Season 5 and kept the new ones for Season 6. Just a suggestion, but there's no turning back the clock, I'm afraid.
Next, there's the argument about Alec Baldwin, feeling too cheerful in this movie. I will agree that Mr. Conductor was too cheerful in this film, but this is just a minor argument.
Next, there's Burnett Stone, played by Peter Fonda, who was feeling very depressed. It's obvious why he was depressed. He failed to protect an engine (who I'll get to shortly) and his wife, Tasha, passed away.
Lastly, there's the argument about Lady. I heard people don't like her because she was unconscious for the majority of this film, she was magical, she had no personality and doesn't have a genuine basis. Well, I say that you're allowed to bend rules like this sometimes. Plus, hating on a character or plot device like this one is like hating someone you don't know. I'll admit I did say stuff like this about Proteus, but I don't hate him either.
And the real problem with all of this? Well, people are still talking about it! A 15 year old movie! This is just plain stupid.
People! It's time we focused on the present and future and not the past! This movie was released 15 years ago! You're allowed to break rules in franchises sometimes! Get over it!
And also, I'll admit, Thomas and the Magic Railroad does have its flaws, (and for the record, I will only refer it to as "Thomas and the Magic Railroad" or "Thomas and the Magic Railway", NOT "Thomas and the Tragic Failroad" or "Shining Time Station: The Movie", the latter is especially very immature!) but then again, every movie has flaws! Plus, I'll take the idea of a magic railway over a Galactic Kids Next Door any day! And I'll admit Lady being a magical engine does insult the universe that Reverend Awdry created, I'll take the idea of a magical engine over Seasons 13-16 any day!
Final thing: If you hate this movie, that's alright, but don't jump on bandwagons just because other people detest this film too! If you do like it, be honest and explain why. We're all entitled to our opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment