I wanted to rant about this for about a month now. What encouraged me to rant about them? Of course, how Thomas the Tank Engine is being treated now.
Let me start off by saying how displeased I am with what Mattel is doing with the franchise now. It turns out their sales have plummeted. But by how much exactly? They never said.
I think I can guess why their sales have plummeted. Because they keep making cheap, knockoff-esque merchandise! I mean, just look at the merchandise that replaced Thomas Wooden Railway. It's none other than Thomas Wood! Wood?! Seriously?! That has got to be the dumbest toy merchandise I have ever seen! Just a block of wood with unfinished paint?! Seriously?! Are you really this lazy, Mattel? Now I'm not going to go and wish death on the toy just because of how lazy it is. After all, it's just toys, but that doesn't excuse the fact it's so lazy.
However, the only merchandise they make nowadays I can tolerate are Adventures and Minis. I mean Adventures for some reason remind me of ERTL, especially with the couplings. Minis, same, but they can look cool.
And also, this goes out to this Big World! Big Adventures! thing. Further proving they just want to elaborate more on this "Around the World" crap, and why The Great Race was a great failure. After Thomas Wikia labelled Big World! Big Adventures! as a spinoff, I was all "Okay, this might not be too bad." But then, it was labelled as Season 22, and having Thomas talk to the audience, similar to Dora the Destroyer, and I was all "Okay, maybe this series won't be as good as I hoped. And the final turnoff. Nia the Orange African Engine and Rebecca the Streamlined Yellow Engine have replaced Edward and Henry in the Steam Team, as well as the season being more fast-paced than realistic! And I was all "That's it! This is the last straw!" and I will get to what I'm going to do later.
I mean come on! If you want to do something about this "Steam Team" crap, just scrap the entire concept as a whole! It's easier than 1-2-8!
The next thing I'll rant about regarding Mattel. If you didn't make such cheap looking merchandise, you would have better sales for Thomas! I mean, if you can make your Cars, Bob the Builder and Fireman Sam merchandise look perfect, even if Fireman Sam and Bob the Builder as franchises look very ugly now, why can't you do the same with Thomas merchandise? But if you want to give Thomas to better hands, say, sell it to some other company like Aardman since it's a British animation company, or Hasbro, considering how well they treat My Little Pony and Transformers nowadays.
Of course, some people like to pin the blame on crap like Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol for Thomas failing in the ratings. And speaking of these, I tried watching these 2 kiddie shows, but my eyes were bawled out. And I've realised most kids nowadays have low attention spans and are more into gadgets and computers than toys.
Back to Thomas. Mattel, if you want to help save money on Thomas, you don't have to make specials on a yearly basis! Take a break every once in a while and focus on the show itself!
Now, there's another thing they're trying to do with Big World! Big Adventures! They're trying to add more female engines! I'm fine with them introducing female engines, but if you want to know why people are disapproving of this, it's because of political correctness being shoved down our throats again, removing iconic characters from the Steam Team, and because they never use their other female engines properly! Hell, in Thomas and the Magic Railroad, Lady was just utilised as a useless plot device, in Season 5, Old Slow Coach just had 2 episodes, Elizabeth, Caroline, Isobella, Molly, Madge and Flora had wasted potential! And they didn't even bother bringing Pip and Emma to the TV series!
And it turns out they contacted the UN to help with creating Rebecca and Nia. And also, they're trying to teach about global warming! Seriously?! Steam Engines and Diesel Engines use fuel that contributes to the problem! And if you ignore this hypocrisy, Henry loves nature and you're taking him out of the Steam Team?! I mean Mattel could've watched Henry's Forest and though about "Hmm, maybe we could use Henry to teach little kids about nature." but no! They had to contact the UN for some reason!
It also turns out the idea came from a kid who said "Thomas is a train that doesn't go anywhere." He does go to places! Hasn't that kid seen him go on his branch line? How about the quarry? How about the mainland? How about Duck's branch line? How about the Search and Rescue Centre? How about Brendam Docks? How about Knapford Station? How about Vicarstown Station? How about Misty Island of all places?
That's enough of the rant about the Big World! Big Adventures! thing that's coming next year.
Plus, there's also the fact they have to release all of their Christmas episodes every October. Look, if you want to get your target audience into the Christmas spirit, release the episodes in November or December! And another thing, you don't have to make so many Christmas episodes on a yearly basis! I mean Seasons 1-3 and 6-12 had only one Christmas episode each, and Seasons 4 and 5 didn't have Christmas episodes at all!
This also goes to that idiotic Thomas Creator Collective. Sorry to everyone who's still involved as well as those who used to be involved, but I don't care anymore, and that's why I'm never watching anymore episodes of your series. Also, why can't they, like, take a break or something? And not to mention, some of those who are involved are quite disrespectful to constructive criticism. I mean, on Twitter, Diesel D199 said "Wow! When did I ask for constructive criticism?" Really, Trent? Seriously?! Are you really that immature? Ever since you joined YouTube you asked for criticism! The fans could use their work on the show itself, but they have lives. I don't know what they do in their personal lives, and it's really none of my business.
I have also realised that Mattel has made the characters a bit unlikable. Thomas has become a whiny little brat who wants to be in anything and everything, The Great Race is a prime example of this. Gordon is a pompous brat who hates everyone. James is a pompous showoff who even complains about a tiny little scratch on his paintwork. Percy's become a wimp. Duck just brags about the Great Western Way all the time, Oliver is just boastful, Daisy keeps talking about how bad things are for her swerves and acting all big-headed, Donald and Douglas keep bickering like Bill and Ben, you all get the idea.
And finally, remember earlier this year when I said that I hope Thomas will end in a few years time? Well, once Season 21 ends, Thomas and Friends will end....to me at least. Okay, maybe I will watch some episodes of Season 22 to see what it's like, but I am never watching anymore future Thomas specials ever again. Journey Beyond Sodor will be the last special to me because of how brilliantly it ended and how it was Misty Island Rescue and Day of the Diesels done right. And not to mention, we keep getting too many new engines every year. Come on! Is Sodor a planet now?! This is just like how to me, the Pokemon anime ended at Diamond and Pearl Sinnoh League Victors, how to me, Postman Pat ended at Season 2 and Fireman Sam ended at Season 4. And what I'm trying to say is after Season 21 of Thomas and Friends, I will only be re-watching episodes up to Season 21, though I might still watch episodes of Season 22 to see what it's like, but with everything else in the show, I'm done. I've had it.
And there you go. Once Season 21 of Thomas and Friends ends, I am cutting ties with the series and only sticking to the episodes that came before with the exceptions of most of Seasons 13-16., but I might still give the Big World! Big Adventures! season a try to see what it's like, but never again will I watch anymore future Thomas specials. If you are willing to support Big World! Big Adventures!, that's fine by me. But if you agree with me on any of this, be civil and explain why. All I wanted to say is I just can't deal with the series anymore and Mattel have lost my trust.
Mattel has officially gone too far.
ReplyDeleteIf these changes end up getting the show cancelled... well, I'm gonna be really mad.
The current changes Mattel has done to Thomas are just beyond stupid, ESPECIALLY the political correctness. There was no need to take out two well-respected characters to fill in for NEW CHARACTERS THAT WERE ONLY MADE TO SATISFY sensitive soccermoms and other whiny jackasses who think there is not enough "girl power". In addition to all of this, more money dropped out of the show's pockets just to even create Nia and Rebecca.
ReplyDeleteYou know, it would have been less costly just to return some of the other females like Molly and give her more development.
...Speaking of being completely left in the dust, whatever happened to Caroline???
As for where BWBA! is going, I will laugh if it flops. What that kid was saying with Thomas not going anywhere is completely illogical; if that REALLY was true, would Thomas himself be classified as hermit of all preschool cartoons???
Jeez, did anyone read the note Awdry left for his son when "Thomas the Tank Engine" was published?
P.S. Do not start me on the Great Wall of China having tracks for the sake of Thomas' travelling freedom.