Saturday, 6 February 2016

TTTE S3E13: Trust Thomas.

Well, I've already done a negative Thomas review....again. I thought I'd kick up another Thomas review. This time, another Season 3 episode.


65. Trust Thomas.
Based on "Bertie's Bumpy Roads" by Andrew Brenner.
Adapted by Britt Allcroft and David Mitton.
Aired: US: 25 November 1991. UK: 28 April 1992. AUS: 3 March 1993.


Thomas finds out that Bertie has lost his trust in the railway's service after it failed to deliver tar to mend the roads two weeks earlier, and resolves to find the source of the problem.
Meanwhile, James is complaining about having to shunt when Gordon advises him to pretend to be sick. When Thomas arrives James tells him he is ill, and Thomas offers to take his trucks for him. The trucks, who are cross at James for bumping them, decide to get to take their anger out on Thomas. On the way back from the quarry, the trucks push Thomas over some points and onto a jetty, which floats across the pond and sinks.
Duck takes the trucks away and Edward helps Thomas home. When Thomas tells Edward about the tar, he recalls several wagons were left at Wellsworth and collects them to ensure they reach Bertie now. James and Gordon apologise for their trick, and Bertie arrives to tell Thomas that his road is about to be mended. Bertie regains his trust in the railway while Gordon and James slowly depart for the shed.


Well, I can understand the plotholes in this episode such as Annie and Clarabel magically disappearing before Thomas the Tank Engine came to the yard, as well as Bertie the Bus not taking another route if his roads are bumpy, the plot being similar to Trucks!, and the toad not hopping off Thomas' running board at some point, but that doesn't save the episode from being a great one. You have to admit, the accident Thomas had in this episode was funny and entertaining. Especially the music that played when the accident happened. It even has a beautiful piece of music when Thomas leaves Toryreck to go to the big station. There is a realistic moment in this episode. And that is when that floating thing Thomas crashed on sank due to his weight.


I bet some Australian and Kiwi fans love this episode because the shot of Thomas leaving Toryreck is on an old ABC For Kids VHS promo in the mid 1990s with some other old ABC Kids shows that aired in Australia at the time.


But all in all, I enjoy this episode and I'm always happy to watch again.


My rating: 10/10.

Season 3 scorecard:
4. Gordon and the Famous Visitor: 9.5/10.
6. Thomas Gets Bumped: 10/10.
8. Diesel Does it Again: 7/10.
9. Henry's Forest: 9.5/10.
10. The Trouble with Mud: 6/10.
13. Trust Thomas: 10/10.
14. Mavis: 9/10.
15. Toby's Tightrope: 9/10.
16. Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party: 8.5/10.
17. Buzz, Buzz: 9/10.
20. Tender Engines: 6/10.
21. Escape: 10/10.
26. Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure: 8.5/10*

Season 3 rating so far: 9/10.

2 comments:

  1. I figured. This review on Trust Thomas is the most positive review you've read on it so far, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems so. For one, Railfanbrony is not a fan of this episode.

    ReplyDelete